Saturday 28 March 2015

A New, and Bloody, Beginning

I've been playing Warhammer 40K since the days of Rogue Trader and at one point or another I've at least started pretty much every army GW has published (except Tau, I've never had any love for the space manatees). I've even finished a few of them.

The last few years I've been too much distracted with the shiny baubles on offer from Forgeworld's Horus Heresy to pay much attention to the core game. This has though has all changed with the release of the latest Codex; Khorne Daemonkin.



Chaos is The Big Bad in 40K. All the others; Orks, Tyranids, Necrons, you name it; pale in comparison to Chaos. It's the dark reflection of humanity's soul and the irony of the whole setting is that beset by existential threats on all sides ultimately the Imperium will be the architect of it's own downfall as it's greatest heroes fall to their own desires.

And what have GW done with it's greatest of villains? Since the epic '3.5 codex' at least it's released a series of bland and underwhelming codexes and supplements focusing, where they had any focus at all, on bits of the fluff that frankly no one cared about. I mean Crimson Slaughter? What was that about?

I hope it's not too optimistic to suggest that with the release of Khorne Daemonkin that is about to change. One of the things I know I've wanted, and probably fair to say a large proportion of the community, is the ability to field viable single god themed lists (of course you could do this to some extent with Unbound but to me that option still feels akin to cheating) and here we have the first attempt at doing just that.

Of course the codex is not without it's problems; the units that underperformed still do (oh Bloodcrushers what did they do to you?), the Blood Host detachment, whilst fluffy, forces you to take some fairly ropey options and there is still no sign of cult terminators. But, with the Blood for the Blood God special rule now rewarding you for mass slaughter, even of your own troops, it's become easy to create lists that play like Khorne should; even if it's going to be challenging to actually win games against a lot of the other armies out there.



In any case it's inspired me to start a new army and, with the possibilities that Chaos represents, one that I'm hoping will be truly absorbing modelling and painting project.

Of course real life has a habit of getting in the way so we shall see if I get to the end. Either way I'm intending to use this blog to both chart my progress (or lack thereof) and share my ramblings on the 40k universe.

Until next time.

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment